Soulclaphands

Soulclaphands

Sound Like Someone Trying Not to Make a Sound

A Sound Like Someone Trying Not To Make A Sound - John Irving I like the story as an adult but I wouldn't want to read it to a child before bedtime. I may not want to read it myself before bedtime. When Tom, who has been awakened by a mysterious noise, tries to tell his father what the creature sounds like, they have the following conversation:"What does it sound like?" his father asked."It sounded like a monster with no arms and no legs, but it was trying to move," Tom said."How could it move with no arms and no legs?" his father asked."It wriggles," Tom said. "It slides on its fur.""Oh,it has fur?" his father asked."It pulls itself along with its teeth," Tom said. "It has teeth, too!" his father exclaimed."I told you - it's a monster!" Tom said. The illustrations are effective in conveying that feeling that quiet middle-of-the-night-anything could-be-lurking feel. Older kids who are less inclined to fretting about monsters under the bed and just about ready to start swapping ghost stories might like it.